You’d probably never guess it but we typically eat pretty healthy here. I’m always looking for great healthy dishes to feed to the family. So I was extremely happy when a colleague of mine gave me several gluten free and dairy free cookbooks. This one recipe for banana bread looked good so I tried it. I mixed up several different flours to create the gluten free flour to make the dish. Then I mashed the bananas and added eggs and vanilla. I even added maple syrup instead of sugar. That’s right… I went super healthy on that banana bread.
When I told my mini me we would have it for breakfast, he turned to me and said, “Can we have it with bacon?” What?!? I made this super healthy, might I add delicious, banana bread and my child wants to sully it with salty, fatty bacon. Then I thought about it…bacon might be good. Why not add a nice bacon and maple syrup drizzle. And that’s how the banana bread with bacon maple syrup was born.
*Note: This recipe is not gluten free. Nor sugar free. Hey, if you’re going to do it, you might as well go all the way.
Banana Bread w/Bacon Maple Syrup and Walnuts
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 1/3 cup of flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3 overripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 4 slices of bacon
If baking your bacon…put 4 slices of bacon in to a cold oven then set oven to 400 degrees.
- Set the oven timer for 12 -17 minutes. Thinner bacon will take less time.
- At 12 minutes check bacon should be cooked perfectly and crispy.
- Pat the bacon with a paper towel to remove excess oil and chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees and spray bunt pan or 4 x8 loaf pan with oil.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Mash ripe bananas with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Then mix in the oil and bananas.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- Removing a moist cake from a pan can be hard. It is helpful to spray the cake pan with oil then dust with a little bit of flour.
- Transfer the batter into the pan and bake about 45 minutes until golden brown. If you are using a loaf pan the cook time is about 1 hour.
- Once finished transfer the bread onto a wire rack and let it cool.
- In a bowl mix the bacon, chopped walnuts and maple syrup.
Place the bread on a serving dish or plate and drizzle the bacon walnut syrup onto the bread.
Now dig in! It’s perfect with a cup of coffee.