When I’m short on time I love one pot dishes. This Easy One Pot Taco Skillet is perfect on a weeknight when we are busy. It’s such a family favorite, I’m tempted to make it every week.
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links allow me to earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click through a link and make a purchase. Please see our disclosure statement for more information.
When I’m in a rush (and tired) I’m really scattered. On top of that, I’m notorious for getting in the kitchen and making a lot of dishes. And though hubby is wonderful, it really isn’t fair to my husband (who typically cleans the kitchen) that I make such a mess and dirty a ton of dishes.
This Easy One Pot Taco Skillet is a part of the solution to several weeknight woes. It’s a great “go to” recipe when I’m really busy and since it’s one pot it stops me from dirtying a bunch of dishes.
You know, every now and then I attempt to clean up my act in the kitchen. And this Taco Skillet is a delicious and easy way to do it.
And guess what? The littles love tacos. So it’s a win, win. The littles are happy, I’m not stressed about what we were eating for dinner and daddy doesn’t come home to a sink full of dishes.
Well, that’s a lie! He always comes home to a sink full of dishes. There are 6 of us in this house. However, there are fewer dishes in the sink than usual.
This recipe uses my Homemade Taco Seasoning. I prefer to make my own verses pay $2 for a packet of spices I have in my house. But there are some good taco seasoning options out there.
This Easy One Pot Taco Skillet is super versatile. You can use it for nachos or a taco salad. We’ve used it so many ways in our house. Personally, I love to make a big taco salad and top it with red onions, red pepper flakes, jalapeños, salsa and sour cream.
Can you tell, I like it hot? LOL
Easy One Pot Taco Skillet
Easy One Pot Taco Skillet
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for taco seasoning and set aside.
- Season ground beef with salt and pepper.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Next, add onion and bell peppers to skillet. Cook until onions are translucent and tender. Then add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add ground beef and sprinkle taco seasoning over beef and vegetables. Mix well.
- Cook ground beef until brown. Then mix in tomato paste and diced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle cheddar and monterey jack cheese over beef and vegetables. Then remove skillet from heat and cover to allow the cheese to melt.
This taco skillet was used in hard corn shell tacos, with nacho chips and as the base for my taco salad. Yup, one easy recipe with a ton of options. Great huh?
So now that you have this super easy weeknight meal under your belt, the though question is … How will you serve your Easy One Pot Taco Skillet?