This Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma is the type of delicious comfort food that reminds me of my childhood. I loved walking through our neighborhood in Jersey City. My mother and I used to use the smells from the restaurants to decide what we were going to eat. Chicken shawarma wraps were one of my favorite bits to grab from our local Middle Eastern restaurant.
I miss those days but luckily I haven’t had to miss the food. After a couple of conversations with the workers at Ibby’s, friends from Lebanon and a bit of research I’ve been able to recreate some of my favorite dishes. Like Halal Chicken and Rice, Beef Gyro recipe and that delicious chicken shawarma.
And it’s pretty darn good and healthy too. For me the most indulgent part was the tzatziki they would slather on the top of my chicken shawarma sandwich. In this recipe I swapped the tzatziki out for a delicious and healthy tahini dressing.
I love healthy recipes that are ultra comforting and that allow me to stick to my low-carb/Keto meal plan. This recipe is great because it provides flexibility. I don’t have to make a completely separate meal for the rest of my family.
I mean no one wants to make two separate meals for their family right? You want to be able to sit down and enjoy dinner with your family. Not stand in the kitchen making a separate dinner while they enjoy theirs. That’s not how it should be.
This chicken shawarma recipe is also really delicious when roasted in the oven (400 degrees F 15 to 20 minutes). You could even cook it on the grill outside ( 20 minutes). But the pressure cooker provides a hands off cooking which is always great when you are chasing after 4 littles.
The longer you allow the chicken to marinate the tastier your chicken shawarma will be. If you are short on time, I suggest piercing the chicken with a fork to help the marinade seep into the chicken.
Don’t you love when you can drop dinner in a pot and walk away. Woo Hoo! Double the recipe and store half in a freezer bag in the freezer for later.
Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma
Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma (keto-friendly)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika optional
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice optional
- 1 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- In a large bowl add the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, cumin, black pepper, paprika, turmeric, allspice, cinnamon, garlic, and whisk well.
- Cut skinless boneless chicken into strips.
- Add the chicken and toss making sure the chicken is well coated in the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Press saute on pressure cooker and add olive oil. When hot add chicken in a single layer and sear. Once seared flip to the other side. Repeat until all the chicken has been seared.
- Remove all of the chicken and add sliced onions. The onions will provide a bed for the chicken to lay on, add additional flavor and liquid.
- Pour broth into the pan and place the chicken on top of the onions.
- Cancel saute. Then place and secure the lid on the pressure cooker and make sure the pressure valve is closed.
- Cook in high pressure and set time for 15 minutes. Allow to NPR for 5 to 10 minutes then quick release.
If you like a bit of crisp on your chicken shawarma, add a bit olive oil to a cast iron pan, remove chicken from the pressure cooker and chop up the chicken and saute it in the pan with olive oil.
Serve this instant pot chicken shawarma with a cucumber salad or a delicious pita. Then drizzle with some homemade tahini dressing. Soooo Delicious!