These Mini Mac and Cheese Cups are the perfect way to satisfy the cheese lover in your life. This mini mac and cheese cups are just the right size for a lunch box or for a holiday get together.
Of course, you could just make them and enjoy them because you like eating with your hands. LOL. Whatever the reason, you should make these.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link or purchase something. Clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, but it will help us keep this site up and running! Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
I’m in the kitchen today making this because I’m not good at rolling. My tells me all the time “Roll! Apple! Roll!”
It’s a what she says to me when she thinks I’m doing something the same way she would do it. I’m a lot like her because I love food and I love to make food for people. I guess I should also mention my little is also like this.
He’s my mini me. He’s so much like me that’s why I call him “mini me.” We like the same things, have similar mannerism and we even like the same foods.
So, it’s no surprise that he loves cheese. He’s actually why I started making Mini Mac and Cheese Cups. And I’m so happy to share this recipe with you.
This Mac and Cheese Recipe
This mini mac and cheese cup recipe is the perfect hand held comfort food for the cold weather that’s rolling in. I wanted to make my mini me his favorite comfort food so he could have it for lunch.
And what dish is warm and comforting and has enough cheese to please? Mac and cheese. I love old school mac and cheese. There’s something about lots of cheese baked into noodles that says I love you.
Lately, I’ve been making stove top mac and cheese because I needed something quickly. As a parent there’s one thing I understand now that I didn’t before … you can’t keep a hungry child waiting for food. So today, I rushed to make these mini mac and cheese cups so he could enjoy it at school.
This recipe is a little bit of everything I love about baked mac and cheese as well as stove top mac and cheese. It’s baked and gooey with a cheese sauce. I mean who doesn’t love a cheese sauce. Talk about comfort!!
These mac and cheese cups bake up firm and the edges also get a a little crispy. Those are the things I love about southern baked mac and cheese. and this little cup has got it.
What You’ll Need
Mini Mac and Cheese Cups
Mini Mac and Cheese Cups
- stainless steel pot
- cupcake pan
- wire whisk
- 1/2 pound elbow noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 large egg beaten (room temperature)
- bread crumbs optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a large stainless steel pot over medium heat and add 3 quarts. Allow water to come to a boil. Add a pinch of salt.
- Once boiling, add the elbow noodles and cook for 6 minutes. Drain noodles into a colander and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat melt butter.
- Once butter has completely melted, add flour and stir thoroughly. The flour will begin to brown. Keep stirring.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Whisk in milk and slowly add cheese. Whisk as you add cheese.
- Add noodles to cheese sauce. Use a spatula to make sure noodles are completely covered with cheese mixture. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove cheese and noodle mixture from heat.
- Whisk egg in a separate bowl then add to the cheese and noodle mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Add 1/2 cup of the mac and cheese mixture to each cupcake opening.
- Place cupcake tin in oven and bake for 15 to 20 mins. The edges of the mac and cheese will become slightly browned.
- Let the mini mac and cheese cool for about 5 minutes. Then remove from cupcake pan. Serve warm.
Once cooled serve with meat loaf or whatever delicious hunk of meat you decided to make.
If you’re not sure what big hunk of meat you would like to make. Check out these recipes.
These were supposed to be part of mini me’s lunch but were such as success there was nothing left. Guess, I’ll be making more of these before the week is over. How fast did these get eaten in your house?
Hope everyone loves these Mini Mac and Cheese Cups.
From my family to yours and made with love.
Post updated November 6, 2020