It’s National Chicken Wing Day! I considered writing that all in caps because I am actually that excited. Now, I have to be honest, when I want wings I typically just go to my favorite happy hour restaurant or open a bag. But I decided to make them myself. It’s for the blog you know… not for selfish reasons at all. On a day like today I just couldn’t help myself, buffalo chicken wings are absolutely delicious.
You’d probably never guess it but we typically eat pretty healthy here. I’m always looking for great healthy dishes to feed to the family. So I was extremely happy when a colleague of mine gave me several gluten free and dairy free cookbooks. This one recipe for banana bread looked good so I tried it. I mixed up several different flours to create the gluten free flour to make the dish. Then I mashed the bananas and added eggs and vanilla. I even added maple syrup instead of sugar. That’s right… I went super healthy on that banana bread.
One go to meal for my mini me is grilled cheese. Just like his momma he loves cheese. There’s something extremely satisfying about ooey gooey cheese and buttered bread. Of course, it’s for the little one so I also try to make sure I’ve included healthy fruits and vegetables somewhere in his meals.
Adding tomatoes became the easy option since we have a little garden in the back of the house. I just walk outside and pluck it off the vine. Of course, if you’ve been reading the blog you’ve noticed that I have a new obsession with baking bacon. I might get passed it, but for now, I’m subscribing to the mantra “Everything is Better with Bacon.”
Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Tomato
Makes 2 Sandwiches
- 4 Slices of Bread
- 4 Slices of Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 4 Slices of Tomato (sliced thin)
- 4 Slices of Bacon
- Softened Butter
- Start by cooking your bacon. (I bake my bacon and it takes about 12 -17 minutes depending on the thickens of the bacon).
- In a frying pan on medium heat, melt a little butter.
- Spread a small amount of butter and place in the pan butter side down.
- After a minute or so the bread will begin to toast in the pan. Once it’s browned flip it over.
- Add one slice of cheese to the bread then your sliced tomatoes.
- Next add your bacon and another slice of cheese.
- Then place your second slice of bread in the pan buttered side up.
- Using a spatula flip the whole sandwich. Then with the spatula press down on the sandwich.
- Cook for about 3 minutes. That should allow the bread to brown and the cheese to melt.
*Note: After talking to some of my friends I have some other options I’m going to try.
1. fried green tomatoes.
2. beef bacon…yum
We eat a lot of chicken in our house. So I’m always looking to change it up a bit. Luckily, I grew up in a pretty diverse environment. The majority of my classmates in high school were Filipino. So I was lucky enough to experience some of the culture and the deliciousness of the cuisine. From cassava cake and biko, to adobe chicken I have a couple of clear favorites.
Sometimes, all I really want is a good steak. There’s something very filling and fulfilling about a perfectly seasoned steak. And this Herb Marinated Grilled Skirt Steak is all of that. With the summer heat, cooking outside was very necessary. Luckily, hubby was dying to fire up the grill and there was skirt steak on hand.
Part of what I love about the summer is the opportunity to spend time with family and friends. This 4th of July weekend my friend is having a huge BBQ. What do you bring to the party that has everything? DESSERT… I brought my Fourth Filled Trifle. It has everything that’s delicious and strawberries and blueberries.