Sometimes it’s hard to try to find balance during the holiday season. As a result some people find themselves buckling down when it comes to their finances others can’t stop spending. One area where we’ve become spendthrifts is food. We definitely treat ourselves to more rich or decadent or expensive foods during this time of year. One dish love to make sometimes for our New Year’s celebration is crab cakes.
Several years ago we realized we go a little food crazy during the holidays. Since then we’ve put or planned a little extra on the side so we could enjoy whatever food we wanted during the holiday season. Besides, the holidays are meant to be enjoyed and that includes indulging in the foods you love.
One thing I try to do is clean out the fridge. I don’t mean throwing food in the garbage I hate waste. It’s actually why we started composting. I clean out the fridge by cooking the food that has ended up in the back of the freezer. The extra bits of stock, beef etc that sit in the back of the fridge. However, it also helps to make room in the fridge for the Thanksgiving ham or turkey. Lucky for me there was a bit of crab in the back of the fridge. Hello…
Makes 4 servings
- 8 oz of crab meat, drained
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon mayo
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of old bay
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine crabmeat and all ingredients. Mix well.
- Use mixture to make 4 patties.
- Next place patties in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. (Mine ended up in the fridge for an hour.)
- Grease a baking sheet and bake crab cakes for 25 minutes.
- Turn crab cakes after about 12 minutes. Crab cakes should be lightly browned.
Serve these on hamburgers buns with tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon or over a nice salad.
Add some french fries. Yum!!