Delicious bacon and tomato grilled cheese with an extra tip to make your grilled cheese even more delicious.
We love grilled cheese in our house. And we make it tons of different ways. It’s our go to meal for the littles. Especially, if we are short on time. Just like momma, my littles love cheese. There’s something extremely satisfying about ooey gooey cheese and buttered bread. Of course, it’s for the littles so I also try to make sure I’ve included healthy fruits and vegetables somewhere in our meals.
Adding tomatoes became the easy option since we have a little garden in the back of the house. I just walk outside and pluck some off the vine. Of course, if you’ve been reading the blog you’ve noticed that I have a new obsession with baking bacon. I might get passed it, but for now, I’m subscribing to the mantra “Everything is Better with Baked Bacon.”
Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Tomato
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices tomato (sliced thin)
- 4 slices bacon
- softened butter
Tools: aluminum foil, rimmed baking sheet, cast iron skillet, spatula
- Start by cooking your bacon. (I bake my bacon and it takes about 12 -17 minutes depending on thickness of bacon).
- In a frying pan on medium heat, melt a little butter (tip: sprinkle a little bit on salt on top of butter once melted).
- Spread a small amount of butter on bread and place bread in pan butter side down.
- After a minute or so the bread will begin to toast in the pan. Once it’s browned flip it over.
- Add one slice of cheese to the bread then your sliced tomatoes.
- Next add your bacon and another slice of cheese.
- Then place your second slice of bread in the pan buttered side up.
- Using a spatula flip the whole sandwich. Then with the spatula press down on the sandwich.
- Cook for about 3 minutes. That should allow the bread to brown and the cheese to melt.
*Note: After talking to some of my friends I have some other options I’m going to try.
1. fried green tomatoes.
2. beef bacon…yum.