We love white rice. Especially, when it’s cooked right. So here is how to cook white rice so it’s perfect and fluffy every time.
This post contains affiliate links. Which means I may earn a commission if you click through and purchase an item. Please see our disclosure statement for more information.
For years white rice was the foundation of most of my meals. It’s extremely budget friendly and pretty easy to make. And when I say easy, I mean easy because most of the time I was cooking my rice wrong and it still came out pretty good. But sometimes all the rice wasn’t cooked the same or it wasn’t fluffy. I love fluffy rice.
Luckily, hubby was able to school me on how to cook white rice. So, I’m going to share the tips he’s given me and a few others I’ve picked up along the way with you.
What Am I Doing Wrong?
If you are unsure if you’ve been cooking your rice wrong here’s a rundown how you should not cook your rice.
- You don’t rinse your rice
- Your burner is too hot.
- You stir your the rice.
- You constantly lift the lid.
- You don’t salt your water.
- You serve your rice immediately after cooked.
It’s all these little elements that help you make the perfect pot of white rice. When cooked correctly rice is a bit drier on top. If you allow your rice to sit for at least 10 minutes it will allow the moisture in the pot to distribute throughout the dish. This will also help with fluffing the rice. Remember fluff rice right before serving.
So … are you cooking your rice wrong?
I know the pressure cooker has made our lives easier when it come to cooking rice. But as yourself, has it been because we’ve been cooking rice wrong all along?
We’ve all done it at least once in out lifetime. Either we’ve undercooked, over cooked, sticky or burnt our rice. Let me tell you when you are trying to multitask or running after kids it’s very easy to do. But a lot of that can be avoided by making rice the right way.
What You’ll Need
- stock pot
- measuring cups
How to Cook White Rice
How to Cook White Rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add water and salt to a pot over medium high heat. Place a tight fitting lid on pit and let water come to a boil.
- 1 3/4 cup of water for every cup of rice.
- While water is coming to a boil place rice in a colander and rinse until water runs clear.
- Pour rice into boiling water and lightly stir.
- Cover pot with lid and reduce heat to low. Allow rice to simmer for 15 to 18 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Allow rice to rest in pot (with lid on) for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, fluff rice with a fork.
What’s your favorite main dish that you’ll serve this perfect rice with ?