Yes. I’m in love. Chinese New Year is right around the corner and I couldn’t figure out what I was going to eat now that I’ve gone Keto. But this Low Carb Egg Roll Bowl is perfect.
Typically, I would make noodles and dumplings for Chinese New Year but since I’ve gone low carb I needed to find something I could eat that wouldn’t blow my carb count.
So when I came across the idea of an egg roll in a bowl on Keto Connect I was excited. I was starting to feel as though I wouldn’t be able to eat anything other than beef and broccoli, and General Tso’s tofu while living this Keto life.
This would have seriously put a damper on things because I love Chinese food. Both traditional and Americanized version. And so far, I’ve been loving the Keto lifestyle.
More importantly Keto or no Keto this is a really delicious recipe. But I know my low carb / Keto friends are interested in the carbs. It’s 4.8 grams of net carbs. If you opt for a bag of cabbage instead of cole slaw you can decrease the net carbs.
Low Carb Eggroll Bowl
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 tablespoon hoisin optional
- 1/4 cup soy sauce liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 12 ounces cole slaw 1 bag
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons green onions minced/optional
- In a medium bowl, combine hoisin, soy sauce, chicken broth (or water)and apple cider vinegar. Whisk mixture together until completely combined. Set aside.
- Next, heat a large heavy bottom pan (or wok) over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
- Season pork with Chinese Five Spice, garlic and ginger.
- Once hot, add ground pork. Break up large chunks of pork with a wooden spatula.
- Push pork to one side of the pan. Add remaining sesame oil and cole slaw (or cabbage) and hoisin, apple cider vinegar mixture and cook until tender, 5 – 8 minutes.
- Place egg roll mixture into a serving bowl and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
And your low carb egg roll bowl is finished. I give the littles some rice or fried wontons with their bowls.
It’s great to have to opportunity to celebrate the New Year again. So, what are you making for Chinese New Year? Send me pics of your New Year Feast.