Homemade Panda Express Inspired Beef and Broccoli Recipe with tender beef and a delicious sauce. This recipe is super quick to whip up so it’s great for a week night dinner. Using prime rib increases the flavor of this dish and ensures that the beef is delicious and tender. It’s fun to make your favorite restaurant dishes at home especially when it’s easy to do.
This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links allow me to earn a commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click through a link and make a purchase. Please see our disclosure statement for more information.
I’ve really been in the mood for Chinese food lately. I’m not sure whether it’s because my students have decided they want to teach me Chinese or if the cold weather is making me want comfort food. But Chinese food has always been one of my favorite go to foods when I just want to curl up in a blanket and eat all day. So, I’m excited I was finally able to figure out this Panda Express Inspired Beef and Broccoli Recipe.
I say finally, because I’ve tried to make a copycat Panda Express beef and broccoli several times. Probably more than several times. But for whatever reason it never came out like the Beef and Broccoli at Panda Express or even my local Chinese food restaurant.
Either the beef wasn’t tender or it wasn’t really flavorful. And if anything can be said about the food at Panda Express it has tons of flavor. So, it’s not fun making beef and broccoli if it’s not as good as takeout if not better.
So, when hubby suggested I give it a try again and that we use prime rib I was excited. And I was hoping that this cut of meat would do this recipe justice. And luckily it did. It really was the missing link to getting this Beef and Broccoli recipe right.
How To Make Beef Tender
- Cut across the grain when slicing beef for stir fry.
- Choose a beef intended for quick cooking (rib-eye or skirt steak).
- Cook meat in small batches.
- Don’t overcook.
Recipe Notes: This recipe also works beautifully with rib-eye and skirt steak as well as fresh or frozen broccoli.
If you like PF Change & Panda Express inspired meals you’ll love these recipes.
Homemade Beef and Broccoli Recipe
Panda Express Inspired Beef and Broccoli
Beef and Broccoli
- 1 1/2 pounds prime rib
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup beef broth divided into 2
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce (or Hoisin)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Season beef with salt and pepper, garlic and ginger and allow to sit while you make the beef and broccoli sauce.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients minus the cornstarch.
- Place a large skillet (or wok) over medium high heat and add oil (I prefer sesame oil). Add beef in a single layer and cook for about 2 minutes per side. Cook beef in batches do not crowd the pan) Remove meat and side aside until later.
- Add cornstarch to pan then add sauce mixture. Stir until and allow mixture to simmer. Then add onions and broccoli to pan.
- Cook broccoli until tender about 5 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper(if necessary) and add beef back into pan. Gently mix together.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve over rice.
Serve this Beef and Broccoli recipe with a steaming hot bowl of white rice or eat it by itself. Either way you’ll be glad you made it.
What’s your favorite Panda Express dish?