In the Summer, no one wants to be inside. So this Sweet Coconut Sticky Rice recipe is quick to whip up and as tasty a cupcakes without the heat from the oven.
I love baking, but yy family might be done with me. We are in the heat of the summer and I continue to turn on the oven. I understand. It makes the house hot but I really like cookies and cupcakes. So I asked myself, what sweet treat would really hit the spot but doesn’t require me to turn the oven on?
Then I remembered. There was a wonderful Thai restaurant where we used to live. It made an awesome coconut sweet sticky rice. The restaurant made it with Thai sticky rice (sweet rice) but I’m going to use what I have in my kitchen.
It’s a great dessert and it’s not too sweet. It’s served plain in the restaurant but I’m going to add fruit or maybe raspberry gelato once it’s finished. I’m excited. I’ve made everyone happy and I still get something sweet. Whoopee!
Sweet Coconut Sticky Rice
Makes 6 servings
- 1 cup of short grain white rice
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of Thai coconut milk/ 2 cans (not Lite milk)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of coconut flour (you can use cornstarch or tapioca flour)
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- ¼ tsp of salt
- fruit ( mango or strawberries)
Tools: 2 saucepans, whisk, large bowl
- In a saucepan combine water, 1 cup of coconut milk and rice. Bring mix to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While rice cooks, heat 1 cup of coconut milk in a heavy pot on medium heat. Bring milk to a low boil.
- Once boiling, add 1 cup of sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt and stir. The heat will help the sugar and salt dissolve quicker.
- To the above mixture whisk in flour (this will help it thicken). This step can be omitted if you are using sticky rice.
- Once rice is soft but firm pour the coconut, sugar, flour mixture over it.
- Add ½ a cup of coconut flakes to sweet rice mixture. Make sure mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Place in a large bowl and refrigerate mixture for ½ an hour to 1 hour.
- While rice is cooling, cut fruit and toast coconut flakes.
- Place remaining ½ cup of coconut flakes in a non-stick pan on the stove at medium heat and toast until lightly browned.
When you’re ready to serve, scoop about ½ a cup of rice into a single serving dish, sprinkle with toasted coconut and place fruit on top.
There you have it. A sweet treat without the heat.